Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Fender Repair Part-2

(Posted on FB 12/22/19)

PROJECT 51: More Fender Repair. At the rear end of the right front fender there were a couple of holes where the Washington-state rust had eaten through the steel. I attempted a welded repair, but the metal surrounding the holes was too thin, and burned through very easily. I didn't want to fill the holes with Bondo out of fear of it cracking later on. So, I went old-school like they would have done in the '50s, and I used lead.
Using a propane torch on the underside, I melted the lead on the surface, filling the holes. I then filed and sanded the area (wearing a breathing mask), then primed it. Like the other fix, a coat of spot putty will smooth the surface out, ready for paint.
(Using lead as a filler while doing body work on cars back in the '50s is where the term "lead sled" for a highly-custom hot rod came from, by the way.)


Rust holes peeking through.

Prepped for lead.
Able to weld one area, but the rest was too thin. 

Holes filled with melted lead.

Filed and sanded smooth.

Primed and ready for spot-putty and paint.


No comments:

Post a Comment