Thursday, February 13, 2020

Tappets and Cam

(Posted on FB 1/9/20)

PROJECT 51: Tappets and Cam. When I took the tappets and cam out of the engine block I set them aside, to be cleaned later. A quick look at the cam lobes showed no unusual signs of wear, or marks that would indicate any kind of problem, and I expected to be able to reuse them.
When I got around to cleaning the tappets, I did notice some unusual wear. It's probably just the result of many tens-of-thousands of miles on the engine (I don't know the actual mileage on the car), but improper valve-clearance adjustment could have played a part, too. The clearance needed such constant attention on these engines that the valve cover is held on with two big hand knobs rather than nuts, the clearance is specified on a brass plate riveted to the cover, and the factory tool kit came with a box wrench for the rocker nuts and the proper-thickness feeler-gauge.
After seeing the wear on the tappets, I inspected the cam more closely. I used micrometers to check the lift on the lobes and compared the measurements to the shop-manual specs. Only two of the eight lobes were within acceptable limits. The others showed wear all the way down to .030" undersize. I calculated that that would mean those valves were opening more than 20% less than their partners. This little four-cylinder engine must have run like a clothes dryer with sneakers inside!
A new set of tappets, cam, and pushrods is on the way. The cam will also get a new set of bearings installed in the block.


Bottom surface of tappets. Very unusual pitting.

Cam was inspected with micrometers.

Valve cover with hand knobs for easy (frequent) removal,
and brass plate indicating proper rocker-to-valve clearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment