Monday, February 10, 2020

One Step Forward, Two Back

(Posted on FB 12/11/19)

PROJECT 51: One step forward, two back. When I pulled the engine and gearbox, I discovered that I was not the first. Unfortunately, the last mechanic didn't know there was a bolt under the tail end of the gearbox, and apparently used a crowbar to "free it up," and broke off half of the boss from the casting. Luckily, I was able to machine away the rest of the boss, and make a custom-fit steel part to replace it. He also left out a bearing guard inside the gearbox when he reassembled it, and lost the inspection cover plate on the bell housing. I was able to buy the former, and make the latter. Photo shows his replacement cover vs. mine. Gearbox is now refreshed and ready to go back in … sometime in the future. (Now I have to straighten the crowbar-damage to the mounting flange on the frame!)


Broken casting. Gearbox tail section is shown upside-down.

Casting machined for replacement steel insert.

Ready to tap holes to hold insert.

Steel insert in place.

Assembled gearbox with new anchor clevis.

Two versions of the same cover plate.

All dressed up and nowhere to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment